Bebe au Lait believes in social and environmental responsibility, and we pride ourselves in continuosly finding ways to reduce, recycle and reuse, as well as cut back on waste and energy usage.
Some of the ways in which Bebe au Lait has become more environmentally friendly in the past year include:
- The launching of our Simple organic product line. Organic products are made from materials that have been grown, harvested and produced in an environmentally conscious way.
- Reducing the size of our trash can in our break room, and adding recycling bins for all of the common materials that can be recycled.
- Investing in permanent flatware, plates and glasses for our break room.
- Using the huge windows in our office as a light source, and turning off some of our lights.
Of course, there are many other small things that we do on a day-to-day basis. Here are some tips from some of our employees on easy ways to go green. Enjoy!
Melody from Sales suggests purchasing reusable grocery bags that can be used for groceries as well as countless other things. She even has some reusable shopping bags with her favorite sports teams on the side, so she can show off her loyalty to her favorite sports, and to Earth. Thanks Melody!
Sara from Sales says her favorite part of the 3 R’s is REDUCE. Her number 1 tip is to stop buying bottled water. Instead, install a water filter on your faucet, and fill up reusable bottles with it. That way, you get great water, you don’t have to worry about buying it, and you don’t have to get rid of so many bottles.
Priscilla from the Creative Department suggests donating clothes and other items that you don’t need anymore to homeless shelters and places like Goodwill and The Salvation Army. Not only does this reduce waste, but it also makes a positive impact on people who need help.
Alan (that’s me!) is a computer nerd, and loves the millions of ways that computers can reduce waste. Unless you actually need a tangible copy of anything from your computer, don’t print it! Instead, save the file as a PDF and save it to an easy to remember place on your hard drive. Same is true for email. Just save a copy on your computer, or in your email account.
- Sign up for e-bills online. Get your monthly statements emailed to you, and pay them online. Save a check and save a stamp.
- Purchase reusable containers for food. Don’t buy sandwich bags again!
- Designate a comfort room in your house where you run the A/C or heater, but nowhere else in the house. This can cut your monthly energy costs in half.
- Re-use boxes that people ship stuff to you with. Use newspaper or brown paper bags instead of peanuts. Don’t throw shipping peanuts away–reuse them, or take them to a shipping store.
- Switch your light bulbs to energy efficient models. They last longer and consume significantly less energy.
- Refinance your home and buy a hybrid car. Save on your housing costs, and on gas!
- Buy quality. Cheap products are cheap because they use less environmentally friendly materials, fall apart sooner, and don’t work as well as quality products.
- Get all of your produce from local farmer’s markets. Buy direct and cut out the middle person. Enjoy the flavor of organically grown foods.
- Get online and find out more! Do a simple Google search about “going green”, and you’ll have many more great ideas.
Happy Earth Day! Get outside and enjoy the Earth. Going green can easily save you money and can have a huge impact on our environment. Find a few ways to cut down on waste, and you’re already well on your way.
The opinions expressed by the Bébé au Lait Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of Bebe au Lait or any employee thereof. Bébé au Lait is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Bébé au Lait Bloggers.