One of the hardest things about being pregnant can be socializing. Something about the coziness of pregnancy, not to mention the tiredness, can mean that a Saturday night at home with a take-out and a good movie sounds much more attractive than a night out – especially when everyone else will be enjoying a cocktail or two! Stone cold sober, with tipsy friends can leave you feeling a little left out!
We asked around the office and the consensus was – Mocktails are the way to go. Simply using a wine glass or a martini glass could help a little with at least feeling like we are still a part of the party – add to that a yummy and healthy Mocktail and you’ll be back!
Here is the recipe for one we tried recently.
(Makes 2 large Mocktails)
4 small Japanese cucumbers
Simple syrup (1/4 cup sugar with 1Ž4 cup hot water, allow to cool)
A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Fresh mint or rosemary
1. Slice 4 thin pieces to use for garnish
2. Peel the skin
3. Cut in half and scoop out the seeds
4. Finely chop
5. Using a metal sieve (or cheese cloth if you have it) press the juice through into a bowl. You will be surprised how much juice they yield – keep pressing, stir and press again. You should expect around 4 oz of cucumber juice.
6. Add juice, simple syrup, lemon juice and ice to a cocktail shaker
7. Strain and serve in a martini glass
8. Garnish with the cucumber slices and a sprig of mint or rosemary
Adding a fine Vodka to this recipe takes it from Mocktail to Cocktail very easily – be sure to garnish a little differently so you don’t mix them up!