My bebes Lilia and Grayson turned 3 years old this weekend and there were a few moments of genius regarding the planning (and the usual crazy stuff that wasn’t as genius) that I wanted to share.
(1) The game plan: Lots of things to do. Good food to meet every allergy, age and appetite requirement. Games and Snacks 10-11. Pizza assortment delivered and eaten 11-11:30. Cupcakes 11:30-11:45. More play time 11:45-12-ish. Then…naps!
(2) Because I actually wanted to talk to some of the parents we set up the following in the backyard so the kids, ages ranging from 4 months to 4 years, could play at their own pace: kiddie pool; jumpy castle; bubble machine; crayons and markers set out on a huge piece of paper; face painting (which I did–whiskers and a nose, nothing fancy); jungle gym; a dress-up assortment; fruit salad; juice boxes; mini muffins; and cheerios mix.
(3) We did the party from 10-12 to beat the heat and get kids at their best hours of the day + give the families the rest of the day to do whatever needed to be done.
(4) Cupcakes. I make great ones, but I don’t make great frosting. So, I made all 30 cupcakes from Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook (One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes) and ordered the frosting in bulk from a local baker. Divine. Then I topped them with every character you can imagine so each kid got something they liked. Plus cupcakes are great–no cutting, waiting or plates.
(5) Presents. Tough when kids are three and not fully sharing or understanding the idea of presents and manners. So we opened them later that evening (post-nap) and photographed each one to send along with the thank you cards to the respective parent/kids. The parents didn’t mind skipping the insane, “no, that’s a gift, honey.” and it taught my kids to have a bit of patience.
The opinions expressed by the Bébé au Lait Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of Bebe au Lait or any employee thereof. Bébé au Lait is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the Bébé au Lait Bloggers.